N25 Carrigtohill Midleton Transport Infrastructure Improvement Scheme
The N25 Carrigtohill Midleton Transport Infrastructure Improvement Scheme has been proposed for a number of years by Cork County Council in conjunction with Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII). The project is included in Project Ireland 2040 and the National Development Plan 2018-2027. The purpose of the scheme is to provide improved transport infrastructure along the N25 corridor between Carrigtohill and Midleton.
The objectives of the scheme include:
– Provision of economic benefit to the southwest region;
– Improvement to journey times and capacity between Carrigtohill and Midleton;
– Facilitate and provide safe access and to strategic residential and industrial sites;
– Improve safety for traffic and vulnerable road users between Carrigtohill and Midleton;
– To enhance Regional accessibility linkage between Cork and Waterford as set out in National Development Plan; and
– Implement a scheme which helps achieve the land use objectives set out in Regional and Local Area Plans for Carrigtohill and Midleton.
Currently the 5km dual carriageway section of the N25 from Carrigtohill to Midleton is of a lower standard than the rest of the N25 from Cork to Carrigtohill. There are numerous at grade junctions, median crossing points and direct access points. The benefits of the scheme will include reduced congestion, quicker journey times, improved journey reliability and comfort and significantly higher levels of road safety on the route.
In January 2020 Cork County Council appointed SWECO UK Ltd., an international firm of Consulting Engineers with offices in Cork, as Technical Advisors to progress the scheme through the 4 Phases required in the planning and design process. This involves the design and environmental assessment of the scheme up to and including submission to An Bord Pleanála for planning approval.
Phase 1, Concept and Feasibility, has now commenced and is scheduled to be completed by the end of June 2020. This phase involves further developing the need for the project, evaluating the objectives and gathering information on the existing transport network within the study area.
The public consultation process for the scheme is scheduled to commence in Q4 2020 as part of the Phase 2 Options Selection Process.
Further information in relation to the project and the planning and design process to be undertaken is available on the project website www.n25carrigtohillmidleton.ie.