N25 Carrigtohill to Midleton Upgrade Scheme
The N25 Carrigtohill to Midleton Upgrade Scheme has been proposed for a number of years by Cork County Council in conjunction with Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII). The project is included in Project Ireland 2040 and the National Development Plan 2018-2027. The purpose of the scheme is to provide improved transport infrastructure along the N25 corridor between Carrigtohill and Midleton.
The objectives of the scheme include:
– Provision of economic benefit to the southwest region;
– Improvement to journey times and capacity between Carrigtohill and Midleton;
– Facilitate and provide safe access and to strategic residential and industrial sites;
– Improve safety for traffic and vulnerable road users between Carrigtohill and Midleton;
– To enhance Regional accessibility linkage between Cork and Waterford as set out in National Development Plan; and
– Implement a scheme which helps achieve the land use objectives set out in Regional and Local Area Plans for Carrigtohill and Midleton.
Currently the 5km dual carriageway section of the N25 from Carrigtohill to Midleton is of a lower standard than the rest of the N25 from Cork to Carrigtohill. There are numerous at grade junctions, median crossing points and direct access points. The benefits of the scheme will include reduced congestion, quicker journey times, improved journey reliability and comfort and significantly higher levels of road safety on the route.
Phase 1 Concept and Feasibility was completed in July 2020 and Phase 2 Options Selection has now commenced.
The Study Area within which possible solutions could be identified has been established and is depicted below. Within this Study Area, constraints have been identified and the planning and design work has commenced with the identification of feasible options to upgrade the route whilst providing continued access for local residents and businesses.
Four potential route options have been developed and are available for public consultation on the project website. You can view the proposed route options information and provide feedback to the project team from the 23rd of October to the 13th of November 2020 by:
– Viewing the Public Consultation information on the project website on n25carrigtohillmidleton.ie and completing the online feedback form;
– Emailing the project team using the email address firstname.lastname@example.org, preferably with the completed feedback form attached.
Feedback from this Public Consultation will be taken into account in developing a preferred route option. A second public consultation will be held in early 2021 to present the Emerging Preferred Option in order to seek further public feedback on the route.